Subject: Re: Y2K Compliance
To: Lam Sook Ching <lamsc@ammb.com.my>
From: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 05/26/1998 07:05:25
> I'm working in a bank and currently, our proxy server is running
> NetBSD 1.1.

Whoever it was who was collecting info on sites using NetBSD for "real"
applications take note!

> It is the bank's requirement to do an in-house testing that all our
> OS is Y2K compliant.

> I will appreciate if you could provide me a guideline on how to go
> about for such test,

Why not just (a) turn off any clock synchronization you have running
(ntp, timed, etc) and then (b) set the system's clock "by hand" to
1999-12-31 23:00:00 and wait a few hours?

You may need to do a backup first and restore afterwards, if having
"future" dates in logfiles or filesystem timestamps or such would cause
you any trouble.

I suspect you'll find that NetBSD itself is Y2K-safe but that the
software you're running under it may not be.  (For example, date
provides the %Y format, but also the %y format.  If you have scripts
using %Y, they should be fine; if they use %y, they likely are not.)

					der Mouse

			       mouse@rodents.montreal.qc.ca