Subject: NOPORTDOCS in pkgsrc ?
To: None <tech-userlevel@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Dan McMahill <mcmahill@mtl.mit.edu>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 05/23/1998 10:36:14
I have just stumbled across a FreeBSD port Makefile which had
the following in it:

.if !defined(NOPORTDOCS)
post-install:
	${MKDIR} ${PREFIX}/share/examples/progname
	${INSTALL_DATA} ${WRKSRC}/examples/*.* ${PREFIX}/share/examples/progname
.endif

I then looked in /usr/pkgsrc/mk/mk.conf.example and saw:

#NOPORTDOCS=                    # If defined, used to stop installation of
                                # any documentation.
                                # Possible: defined, not defined
                                # Default: not defined.

but this is the only file in /usr/pkgsrc/mk/ which mentioned that variable.

Is this in fact the prefered thing?  If a program's Makefile installs docs
and/or examples by default for target 'install', should I remove it from
there and put it in the pkg Makefile as shown above, or should I patch the
program Makefile to have:

.if !defined(NOPORTDOCS)
#doc install stuff here
.endif

Comments anyone?  BTW, this variable wasn't mentioned in the pkg docs as
far as I can tell.

Thanks,

Dan