Subject: None
To: None <tech-userlevel@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Lucio de Re <lucio@proxima.alt.za>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 05/13/1998 08:20:29
I have just compiled the latest release of Samba, subsequent to a
security alert, and attempted to get rid of all warnings generated
during the compilation stage.

Some of the NetBSD 1.3 specific fixes (small as they are, they are
particularly annoying) I'll feed back to the samba-bugs mailing list,
but the "ld" generated complaints about mktemp() merit some attention.

The first issue I stumbled on was the different open() modes implied by
mkstemp(), compared to what Samba requires.  As there is no visible
means (am I missing something?) to change a file descriptor's mode from
O_RDWR to O_WRONLY, Samba's requirements are not being met.  The actual
permissions, 0600, are quite understandable, but the mkstemp()
interface ought to have allowed for file modes as a separate parameter.

Is it too late now to change or supplement this?

Secondly, there are instances where mktemp() is perfectly adequate to
its task, as opening the actual file may not be immediately desired.
Of three instances of mktemp() usage in the Samba suite, two seem to be
of this nature - I am speaking under correction, I may have missed
something.

Seems to me that raising the alarm is a very good idea, while at the
same time it would be nice to suppress the alarm when it is deemed
inappropriate.  Is this at all possible?

Regards, all.
--
Lucio de Re (lucio@proxima.alt.za)
Disclaimer: I'm working at getting my opinions to agree with me.