Subject: Re: correct form for install target for pkg
To: None <mcmahill@mtl.mit.edu, tech-userlevel@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Hubert Feyrer <hubert.feyrer@rrzc1.rz.uni-regensburg.de>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 05/07/1998 08:54:00
On May 6, 10:03pm, Dan McMahill wrote:
> 1)  Is it safe to count on BSD_INSTALL_XXXX being defined and passed
>     on to the environment that "make install" is being run in?

Sure - that's what we have these definitions for. They are also used in emacs
and some other pkg.

> 2)  Is there a simple way to handle the entire examples directory other than
>     invidually listing all the files?  Or do I need to do that anyway for
>     pkg/PLIST (list them individually that is)?

For moving the files in place, you can move about anything you want... for more
than file, the BSD_INSTAL_XXX macros will work if you use them with a
'*'-argument, for deep directory structures, things like tar are preferrably.

For PLIST, you'll have to list every single files, plus @dirrm statements for
non-std directories.

> 3)  There is no man page.  The manual comes with the distribution in LaTex
>     form and is also available for download via FTP in postscript form.
>     Is there a prefered way to handle this?  Should I stick all the LaTex
>     files (quite a few plus associated .ps files for the figures) in
>     ${PREFIX}/share/doc/fastcap?  Should I try to make the package depend
>     on LaTex?  I hate to require such a large package just to produce the
>     manual.  Or perhaps I should work on the package Makefile to make it
>     download the postscript documentation and put that in
>     ${PREFIX}/share/doc/fastcap?  Any comments and suggestions are most
>     welcome.

Don't depend on LaTeX, esp. if there is a pre-built documentation available
already. Just make sure it gets downloaded and stuff it wherever it fits to.

Another side note: You may put that install-procedure into the pkg/Makefile's
do-install target instead of patching it into the distfile's code. At least
it's more simple, though the patch can be sent to the original author of the
pkg, which is quite preferable, too. You decide. :)

 - Hubert

--
Hubert Feyrer <hubert.feyrer@rz.uni-regensburg.de>