Subject: Re: pkg/5366: py-Numeric PLIST has unnecessary dirrm entry
To: None <dolecek@ics.muni.cz>
From: Ty Sarna <tsarna@endicor.com>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 04/27/1998 13:06:51
In article <199804270837.KAA02556@saruman.ics.muni.cz> you write:
> Matthias Scheler wrote:
> > What a clumsy hack. But you are right it'll work.

It's the same hack the perl package uses, for the same reasons. I'd love
to hear better ideas, but I think it's the best that can be done.

> It's about the best one can do -- people might install some modules
> themselves, not via packages.

Exactly.

> As I think about it, maybe it would be better to not do the rm -rf
> and let pkg_delete barf on the extra files -- so user/installer
> will be notified there are some extra files one need to remove/whatever.

I'd rather they just be removed. Having to go in and manually figure out
what needs to be done defeats the purpose of packages! Anyway, if
they're removing python, they won't have use for any added modules there
anyway. Even if they're removing the package to add a newer version,
they may well need to recompile modules.