Subject: library man pages
To: None <tech-misc@NetBSD.ORG, tech-userlevel@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Perry E. Metzger <>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 01/10/1998 13:16:32
As pr-4209 indirectly points out, we have a general problem in our man
pages. Section 3 man pages for functions in libraries other than libc
do not specify what library a function is in, leaving the author of
new code to wonder "why won't this link?" because they didn't know
they had to add a -lfoo to the link line.

I believe we should fix the man pages to indicate what library every
documented function is in. (We might as well do libc functions, too,
for completeness.)

I suggest the following strawman....

After the SYNOPSIS section, we should add a LIBRARY section, e.g.:

     pw_lock - passwd file update function

     #include <util.h>

     pw_lock(int retries);

As I said, this is just a strawman. Maybe we should put LIBRARY before
SYNOPSIS, maybe the format is wrong, etc. However, I'd like to get
some consensus on this so that we can actually fix the problem.