Subject: Re: port-i386/4651: Man page describing booting NetBSD from Wind
To: Ty Sarna <tsarna@endicor.com>
From: Todd Vierling <tv@pobox.com>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 12/14/1997 14:07:27
On Fri, 12 Dec 1997, Ty Sarna wrote:

: > Should I go pull out SVR3 and tell you what the 1-letter codes "should" be?
: > (Yes, UN*X has used single letters instead of numbers before; SVR3 used man
: > catgories that were only letters.)  I still argue 7h to prevent a slip back
: > into SVR3 style; I certainly wouldn't propose 1h or 8h because thse
:
: Wait, weren't you just telling us about how you set up your system to be
: more SysV-like? And now you're saying you don't want to do things the
: SysV way... hmmm :-)

Yes, I had at one point saying that I have some SVR4-command-line-style
commands I am working on.  That doesn't mean I am making my system
"SysV-like"; I am making an alternate, compatible environment that a few of
my users will be more familiar and happy with.

: The fact that the is precedent in SVR3 makes my case stronger, not
: weaker, I think.

Actually, SVR4 also departed from SVR3 and uses number-plus-letter syntax.

=====
== Todd Vierling (Personal tv@pobox.com; Business tv@lucent.com)
== Vierling's Axiom: The revolution won't be televised; it will be posted.