Subject: Bug? execvp w/dead NFS server
To: None <tech-userlevel@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Brian C. Grayson <bgrayson@ece.utexas.edu>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 09/22/1997 08:47:53
  I don't know if this is a bug or not, but it's definitely
confusing behavior, at least to me:

  One NFS server is down.  I happen to have directories from
this server near the front of my PATH.  When this server is
down, any execvp()s of programs that are from later components
of the path fail, because execvp() is bailing out on the EAGAIN
(Resource temporarily unavailable) return code from its execve
attempts using the unavailable directory name, rather than
checking the remaining components of the path.

  I could change my path in all running programs, but in some
that's not possible without killing the program, which is not
always an option.

  So, bug or feature?  :)

  (I'm running a July 28 userland, and a Sept 17 kernel, on
-i386.  Yes, it's time to upgrade userland.)

  Brian
--
Brian Grayson (bgrayson@ece.utexas.edu)
Graduate Student, Electrical and Computer Engineering