Subject: Re: su to root hangs...
To: Manuel BOUYER <>
From: Michael L. VanLoon -- <>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 08/28/1997 07:15:28
>On Aug 28, Don Ray wrote
>> Whenever I log into one of my NetBSD boxes as myself and try to su into
>> root, after the password authentication, it just hangs (I have to ctrl-c to
>> get my shell back).
>> [...]

>Can be a network problem (related to yellow pages, or NFS). Do you
>su from an NFS-mounted directory, or is your /var/mail nfs mounted ?
>I experiences such hangs (which are in facts long timeouts) when my mail
>server is down.

The same thing could possibly happen if you're telnetted in from a
remote machine -- trying to resolve the hostname you're logged in

Although if that's the case, it should also hang while you're
attempting to telnet in.

  Michael L. VanLoon
      Contract software development for Windows NT, Windows 95 and Unix.
             Windows NT and Unix server development in C++ and C.