Subject: ftpd(8) enhancements
To: None <tech-userlevel@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Luke Mewburn <lukem@connect.com.au>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 04/24/1997 14:23:08
I've been re-integrating some features that were originally hacked
into a private copy of ftpd(8) by Simon Burge <simonb@telstra.com.au>

These are:
	* output of a ".message" file the first time a directory is
	  entered.

	* notification of the existance of "README*" files the first
	  time a directory is entered.

	* "conversion"; allowing retrieval of files or directories in
	  another format by specifying a target suffix. E.g, given a
	  directory "foo", "foo.tar" will return a tarfile containing
	  foo, and "foo.tar.gz" will contain a gzipped tarfile. The
	  "conversion" modes are only supported for retrievals, and are
	  configurable via "/etc/ftpconv".

	* transfer rate limiting, via "SITE SPEED maxKBs", where maxKBs
	  is the maximum KB/s that will be transferred. Whilst this is
	  a disgusting and nasty hack, it's useful on slower (modem)
	  links where you don't want your entire bandwidth soaked up
	  by your ftp session.

Some of these features are similar to those provided by wu-ftpd.

Currently, all of these options are compiled in unless the
preprocessor #define SMALL is set.
I'm looking for suggestions on how to make this more configurable.

Any more suggestions or comments before I prepare to commit?