Subject: Re: ftpd(8) enhancements
To: Luke Mewburn <>
From: Curt Sampson <>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 04/23/1997 22:23:26
On Thu, 24 Apr 1997, Luke Mewburn wrote:

> Currently, all of these options are compiled in unless the
> preprocessor #define SMALL is set.
> I'm looking for suggestions on how to make this more configurable.

Create a /etc/ftp.conf file and put *all* configuration information
(excepting that currently in /etc/ftpusers and /etc/ftpchroot) in
there. Three config files is plenty for any program; if you use
/etc/ftpconv just for the conversions, we'll need a fourth one to
turn on and off things like README notification and so on.

For each of the features, I'd have three options: on, anonymous
only, and off. That way we can make sure that regular users aren't
going to get README warnings as they wander about their home

Curt Sampson		Info at
Internet Portal Services, Inc.		`And malt does more than Milton can
Vancouver, BC   (604) 257-9400		 To justify God's ways to man.'