Subject: Re: hacking dumpfs to show fs level (to solve [bin/1353])
To: Luke Mewburn <lukem@connect.com.au>
From: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 04/18/1997 08:19:58
> [dumpfs showing filesystem level]

> Here's a patch do to what I think is the correct thing.  However, I
> don't have anything < level 3 to test it on.

> Does anyone out there have an old sunos or ultrix partition that's
> probably level 0 or level 1 to test this on?

I have (access to) a NetBSD/sparc machine that's set up to dual-boot
SunOS off the same disk ("boot" gets NetBSD, "boot disk" gets SunOS).
I patched dumpfs (1.2 dumpfs, but it's rev 1.11 of dumpfs.c) with your
patch and tried it.  All three of the SunOS partitions produced

cylgrp  dynamic inodes  4.2/4.3BSD      fslevel 1

I checked them first with SunOS fsck (I love COMPAT_SUNOS :-), and they
passed cleanly.  (NetBSD fsck is mostly happy with them, but it thinks
the clean bits are wrong.  Using NetBSD newfs -O didn't work for some
reason; I had to use SunOS newfs to get filesystems SunOS fsck was
happy with.  I haven't investigated why.)

The native NetBSD filesystems on that disk showed "fslevel 3".

					der Mouse

			       mouse@rodents.montreal.qc.ca