Subject: Re: UPS unattended shutdown
To: Dan J Fraser <dfraser@mother.com>
From: Jason Thorpe <thorpej@nas.nasa.gov>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 03/14/1997 13:53:45
[ CC'd tech-userlevel, since this is probably a totally userland thing. ]

On Fri, 14 Mar 1997 16:27:43 -0500 (EST)
 Dan J Fraser <dfraser@mother.com> wrote:

 > I'd like to set up NetBSD to automatically shut down my UPS during a power
 > failure... monitoring the UPS is not a problem, but I need to send an
 > ioctl to the serial port to tell the UPS to shut off power to the computer
 > after NetBSD has shut down completely.
 >
 > What's the best way to implement this?

Hmm, do you _need_ to perform an ioctl?  What is the command you send
to the UPS?  Can't you just write a message out the tty?  (I assume
you're reading messages on the tty from the UPS..)