Subject: SMC 82M32 Elite32c Ultra Ethernet card. Help!
To: None <tech-userlevel@NetBSD.ORG, port-i386@NetBSD.ORG, tech-net@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Greg Cronau <gregc@pm-tech.com>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 02/13/1997 12:49:53
I just picked up a (cheap)EISA SMC Elite32c Ultra ethernet card. My NetBSD
box is an AMI Enterprise IV EISA system. I had (somwhat naievely)thought that
there would be support for this board in the system. My system had an SMC
8416 Ultra-elite 16bit ISA card in it that worked fine. The new board and
the old one both use the same chip, an SMC UltraChip #83C790QF.

NetBSD will not recognize the board on startup, but I know the board is
fine. I ran my EISA config and the Ezstartup that came with the board. They
all verify that the board is fine.

Everything about the board is software config. No jumpers. It is set for
IRQ 15 and memory address D0000, the same as my 8416, but the I/O mem space
is not a setable option. I *assume* it's at 280, but that could be a bad
assumption.

Has anyone made this work? It *looks* like it the if_ed.c code should work
for this board. Perhaps the board uses a different I/O space than 280, or
perhaps it returns a new identification code that the software doesn't
grok.

Anyone got any ideas?
Thanks
Greg Cronau