Subject: Re: ash & POSIX 1003.2 q's
To: VaX#n8 <vax@linkdead.paranoia.com>
From: Jim Wise <jw250@columbia.edu>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 01/28/1997 02:35:00
On Mon, 27 Jan 1997, VaX#n8 wrote:

> There's more to this parsing business than meets the eye.
> I started to fix some minor stuff; I got showtree working pretty well,
> and started to fool with some minor sh bugs, when I realized what
> I really needed was a functional definition like POSIX 1003.2.
> If someone would loan me a copy, I'd fix up ash -- if people thought
> it would be a worthwhile task.  I'm as much of a minimalist as the
> next person, but maybe forgetting about it is better, I dunno.

You can find 1991 draft copies of Posix 1003.2, 1003.2a, and 1003.2b
(the shell and utilities standards) at

	ftp://ftp.funet.fi/pub/doc/posix/

They're big and they're a late draft (11.2) rather than the final
standards, but they're definitely nice to have.

Would anyone in the know care to comment on what changed between draft
11.2 and the final standards, in this area?

Hope this helps...
--
				Jim Wise
				jim@santafe.arch.columbia.edu