Subject: Re: su(1) group wheel restriction
To: None <mike.long@analog.com>
From: Hacksaw <hacksaw@user1.channel1.com>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 01/09/1997 15:22:38
>It's easy enough to create and use another group for that; you don't
>need to use wheel.  That's the whole *point* of the group mechanism,
>to give various overlapping sets of users permission to do specific
>things.

Sure, but why have an extra group? The people who should be able to
install stuff are also the people I trust with root. The group
mechanism allows for a small amount of stupidity prevention, by making
it easy to install without su'ing. In cases where being root is important, the
installer will be informed of this, and won't surprised if he/she didn't
read all of the README.

>I don't see any need to fix something that isn't really broken.

I agree. This is why I suggested sudo.
--
Hacksaw