Subject: Re: Partitioning a drive (formally dos)
To: None <aaronw@sky.ewi.com>
From: der Mouse <mouse@Holo.Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 10/29/1996 18:34:22
> I have been trying to get a label installed on a 1gb disk(sd1)
> without success.  [...] Any suggestions on how I can get this darn
> thing labeled or is the drive just not going to work?

Did you try using sunlabel?  That's what I always use.
"sunlabel -new /dev/rsd1c", in your case...unless there's already a
label there and you want to use values from it, in which case skip the
-new.  (sunlabel can be found in
ftp://collatz.mcrcim.mcgill.edu/mouse/sunlabel.c and sunlabel.doc; I'll
also be glad to mail source and/or binaries for NetBSD/sun3 or
NetBSD/sparc slightly-pre-1.2 current.)

> (when saving the label info via vi)
> disklabel: ioctl DIOCWDINFO: No disk label on disk;
> use "disklabel -r" to install initial label
> re-edit the label? [y]: n
> balboa# disklabel -r sd1
> Bad pack magic number (label is damaged, or pack is unlabeled)

Did you try "disklabel -e -r sd1"?  I don't use disklabel to label
disks for use with Suns, but the manpage looks as though that should be
the incantation.

					der Mouse

			       mouse@rodents.montreal.qc.ca
		     01 EE 31 F6 BB 0C 34 36  00 F3 7C 5A C1 A0 67 1D