Subject: Re: setuid, core dumps, ftpd, and DB
To: FreeBSD hackers <tech-userlevel@NetBSD.ORG, freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org>
From: J Wunsch <j@uriah.heep.sax.de>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 10/20/1996 09:58:55
As Chris G Demetriou wrote:

> Charles, re: "is a core dump on this weird file system safe"?
> Actually, a good solution there might be a "NOCOREDUMP" mount flag, a
> la NOSUID and NOEXEC.  That has several advantages:

It doesn't solve the problem where this discussion originated, but i
like this idea.  I've seen programs dump 80 MB core files over
ethernet -- and once they do this, you cannot stop them.  (Maybe you
could quickly delete the file from the server, so the client would get
a stale NFS file handle, but it's a crock.)

--
cheers, J"org