Subject: Re: proposal on /etc/rc rework
To: Jason Thorpe <thorpej@nas.nasa.gov>
From: Michael Graff <explorer@flame.org>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 10/01/1996 13:28:48
Jason Thorpe <thorpej@nas.nasa.gov> writes:

> I'd like to see a combination of /etc/rc.conf (basically variables
> and whatnot) and /etc/rc.d/ ... The "standard system" /etc/rc.d/* files
> (i.e. the ones shipped) should pull configuration from /etc/rc.conf ..
> I don't want to have to edit the actual scripts as shipped with the OS.

The way irix does this is to have an /etc/config/foo along with the
scripts.  All the /etc/init.d/foo specific variables are in the config
file, not in /etc/rc.conf.  This makes tracking config files easier for
some.

I'm undecided yet, but I think the first cut will be to use /etc/rc.conf  :)

--Michael