Subject: Re: proposal on /etc/rc rework
To: Jason Thorpe <thorpej@nas.nasa.gov>
From: Luke Mewburn <lukem@supp.cpr.itg.telstra.com.au>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 10/01/1996 12:22:02
Jason Thorpe writes:
> On Mon, 30 Sep 1996 12:16:24 +1000
>  Luke Mewburn <lukem@telstra.com.au> wrote:
>
>  > Comments? Is there any chance that even /etc/rc.conf will be accepted
>  > by NetBSD-core?
>
> I'd like to see a combination of /etc/rc.conf (basically variables
> and whatnot) and /etc/rc.d/ ... The "standard system" /etc/rc.d/* files
> (i.e. the ones shipped) should pull configuration from /etc/rc.conf ..
> I don't want to have to edit the actual scripts as shipped with the OS.

Well, what do you know.  I've actually done this for ULTRIX at our
site. I've also been informed that this is similar to what OSF/1 does.

It looks like this:

	/etc/rc		setup stuff, read 'autoboot' arg that init gives
			us, run  '/etc/rc.sh -v -d /etc/rc.d -c S'

	/etc/rc.sh	Simon Gerraty's useful rc script front-end

	/etc/rc.conf	contains configuration stuff for scripts

	/etc/rc.d/	directory, containing:
		Sxx*	startup links to scripts
		Kxx*	shutdown links to scripts
		*	actual scripts

	/usr/local/bin/shutdown
			sh front-end to shutdown that calls the
			shutdown scripts before running /bin/shutdown

In answer to other peoples suggestions, I'm quite willing to take what
NetBSD currently has in terms of /etc/{rc,rc.local,netstart,my{name,gate},
defaultdomain} and come up with it worked into an /etc/rc.d schema.
Then people can comment on actual code, not vapourware.

The copyright on Simon Gerraty's rc.sh is a 'this is mine but do what
you like as long as you leave this copyright intact', so I can't see
why he'd have a problem with putting it in NetBSD.

Luke.