Subject: Re: proposal on /etc/rc rework
To: Jason Thorpe <thorpej@nas.nasa.gov>
From: Chris G Demetriou <Chris_G_Demetriou@ux2.sp.cs.cmu.edu>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 09/30/1996 17:25:50
> On Mon, 30 Sep 1996 12:16:24 +1000
>  Luke Mewburn <lukem@telstra.com.au> wrote:
>
>  > Comments? Is there any chance that even /etc/rc.conf will be accepted
>  > by NetBSD-core?
>
> I'd like to see a combination of /etc/rc.conf (basically variables
> and whatnot) and /etc/rc.d/ ... The "standard system" /etc/rc.d/* files
> (i.e. the ones shipped) should pull configuration from /etc/rc.conf ..
> I don't want to have to edit the actual scripts as shipped with the OS.

Oh, that reminds me:

i'd really like to see a solution where you have two directories (or
whatever):

One a set of files, the other a set of symlinks into the first.

it's really nice to be able to add and delete stuff to your system
startup sequence w/o having to add/delete 'stock' system files.
anything that makes me change the 'stock' system startup files --
including deleting them or moving them -- is losing, in my opinion.

chris