Subject: Re: proposal on /etc/rc rework
To: None <lukem@telstra.com.au>
From: Michael Graff <explorer@flame.org>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 09/30/1996 13:59:05
Luke Mewburn <lukem@telstra.com.au> writes:

> With that said, my personal preference is to immediately move to
> /etc/rc.conf. It's easy, everything is in one place, and there's
> minimal change.

I believe that if any changes are going to be made, they should be
thought out FIRST and made ONCE.  I would not want to require people
to upgrade to something for now, and something else later.

BTW, I've been using the rc.conf thing for over three years now.  I
like it, but I think I have found too many little holes in it to make
it work for everyone.  IMHO, the SYSV way is the right way, for the
future, and just having the /etc/rc*.d and /etc/init.d framework in
for the short term is the first step.

> Comments? Is there any chance that even /etc/rc.conf will be accepted
> by NetBSD-core?

I personally thought all the arguements against the rc.conf and init.d
thing were bogus.  The point of the matter is, one could, even if
/etc/rc were NEVER directly called by init, have one big fat file
in /etc/init.d which did all the work, perhaps even making this a
simple symlink to /etc/rc...  So for those who want to break things,
go for it.  For those who want to see packages for NetBSD become
a point and click install, let's start working on the /etc/init.d
and /etc/rc*.d method now.

Who wants to split off and work on this?

--Michael