Subject: Re: NetBSD master CVS tree commits
To: None <tech-userlevel@NetBSD.ORG>
From: der Mouse <mouse@Holo.Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 09/12/1996 08:09:35
>>> Hmm, but I can't help but wonder if it would be better to but the
>>> fstab goo into the wrapper, [...]
>> I thought about that for quite a while. I finally decided that there
>> was no good way to implement the -p (preen) option if we did things
>> like that.

> Uh, actually, it's pretty easy:

> 	change the per-fs '-p' option so that it does the single
> 	(specified) file system.

> 	dispatch forks/execs of per-fs checkers as necessary

This has the additional advantage that the "run in parallel but avoid
spindle contention" feature of fsck -p works even across filesystem
types...which isn't really possible if you leave -p in the individual
fsck_xxx binaries.

Of course, it has the downside that all fsck_xxx binaries must support
-p, at least as a harmless no-op.  But then, they all have to take more
or less the same argument pattern anyway for the dispatch thing to work
right to start with.

					der Mouse

		     01 EE 31 F6 BB 0C 34 36  00 F3 7C 5A C1 A0 67 1D