Subject: Re: NetBSD master CVS tree commits
To: Christos Zoulas <christos@deshaw.com>
From: Chris G Demetriou <Chris_G_Demetriou@ux2.sp.cs.cmu.edu>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 09/11/1996 22:38:23
> | It's awesome that we have the fsck wrapper now!
> |
> | Hmm, but I can't help but wonder if it would be better to but the fstab
> | goo into the wrapper, and simply have it invoke the appropriate fsck_xxx
> | for each line it finds?  Then we could rip all that code out of the
> | back-ends.  I think this is how mount(8) does it.
> |

> I thought about that for quite a while. I finally decided that there was
> no good way to implement the -p (preen) option if we did things like that.
> I looked that the code and there is just a few lines to traverse /etc/fstab,
> so I decided to do it this way.

Uh, actually, it's pretty easy:

	change the per-fs '-p' option so that it does the single (specified)
	file system.

	dispatch forks/execs of per-fs checkers as necessary

	if they return specific error codes, then (possibliy) have the
	master not issue further fscks, and exit with an appropriate
	error code.

Yeah, sure, it involves modifying a _lot_ of the existing fsck control
logic, but the resulting solution would end up looking pretty "good"
if done right.

chris