Subject: Re: /etc/rc vs /etc/init.d, take N
To: der Mouse <mouse@Collatz.McRCIM.McGill.EDU>
From: matthew green <mrg@eterna.com.au>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 04/02/1996 10:31:32
[ moved to tech-userlevel ]

   And I'll maintain it for myself as necessary too.  I'm mainly concerned
   about the possibility that parts of NetBSD - not just third-party
   packages - start to break if you don't have init.d all populated with a
   buncha scripts for this and that.

just as a point of info:  AIX had the ability from init to run
with runlevels, or, with /etc/rc, etc.  it implimented this by
running /etc/rc from the sysV inittab.  the implimentation i've
outlined (with scott's comments) is different, but gives the
same basic functionality -- i never heard about AIX having
problems with packages.

(it's a pity AIX was so broken.  it has some really nice
features).