Subject: Re: fixing the mismatched headers problem
To: None <tech-userlevel@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Alan Barrett <apb@iafrica.com>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 03/28/1996 11:58:24
> > 	* Add a general "install-headers" support to the bsd.*.mk files
> > 	  so that "make install-headers" would [recursively install 'em]

I like this.  I also suggest an "install-libraries" target.
(I don't much care how the target names are spelled.)

> There is a theoretical danger that something will be built with a new
> header and linked with an old library.  Fortunately, all libraries are
> built and installed before any programs are.

Yes, right now, all the system libraries are in places that "make build"
explicitly gets to before any programs are linked.  But I think it would
make sense to generalise the process, using an install-libraries target
in the *.mk files instead of collecting all the knowledge of where
libraries are into the top-level Makefile's "build" target.  This might
make Kerberos integration easier, for example.

--apb (Alan Barrett)