Subject: Re: c++ vs. g++ front end
To: Guenther Grau <s_grau@ira.uka.de>
From: J.T. Conklin <jconklin@netcom.com>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 03/20/1996 10:01:55
> > The difference between the c++ and g++ front ends is that g++ includes
> > libg++ in the link.  Since libg++ is distributed under the GNU General
> > Public Licence, users might inadvertantly taint their own code if they
> > use g++ to link their programs.
> >
> > I'd like to recommend that the default C++ compiler front end be
> > changed from g++ to c++.
>
> And which other library can be used as a replacement for libg++?

There may be some confusion because what's distributed as libg++ by
the FSF is actually several libraries: libg++, libio, libiostream,
and libstdc++.  These libraries are distributed with different
licences.  Libg++ itself is under the GPL.

Libg++ proper contains generic classes for abstract data types like
strings, lists, queues, trees, hash tables, etc.  The STL (standard
template library) which is part of libstdc++ provides similar
features.

I understand that using STL at this moment can be awkward due to g++'s
template instantiation mechanism.  There is an unofficial "repo" patch
(to gcc/g++) that helps.

In any case, I'm not suggesting that libg++ be removed, just that the
default C++ compiler front end be "c++" instead of "g++" so that
libg++ is not linked in to peoples executables inadvertantly.  Those
who use libg++ can either add -lg++ or link with g++.

	--jtc