Subject: init.d
To: None <tech-userlevel@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Stefan Monnier <stefan.monnier@lia.di.epfl.ch>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 02/09/1996 00:02:23
Is there any willingness to replace the /etc/rc by a system à la /etc/init.d ?

Being used to SysV machines (Solaris and Irix), I appreciate being able
to just say "/etc/init.d/dns stop" or somesuch when I need to stop or restart
some service. I've started to write some of those /etc/init.d scripts
(mostly the ones for the systems I've installed separately, such as XDM
or Alex) but I'm wondering if other people have hacked on this also or if
they have ideas on how to actually deal with all the problems:

- where to put the config info found in /etc/netstart (like the flags
  for sendmail). We could of course setup a /etc/flags directory or file.

- you often want your /etc/init.d scripts to be very specific, so as to
  be able to stop named without having to stop all the network services
  (Irix sysamds probably know what I'm talking about). But on another hand,
  you also want to be able to start some set of services (like most network
  services) with a single command. I'm all in favor of specific scripts,
  but maybe there are compelling advantages to more coarse-grained scripts ?

- what about speed ? (it looks like starting all those scripts might slow down
  the boot process. Or maybe the scripts could be "sourced" with ". $script"
  rather than exec'd ?)

- what about run-levels ?

	Stefan