Subject: Re: machine-dependent rc files?
To: None <thorpej@nas.nasa.gov>
From: Hacksaw <hacksaw@venus.gsd.harvard.edu>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 01/11/1996 17:33:28
>I was looking at bin/1262 ([non-critical/medium]: screenblank isn't started.)
>and was was wondering if we might want to have /etc/rc call
>machine-dependent scripts such as rc.sparc or rc.sun3 or rc.hp300 or
>whatever to deal with stuff that's somewhat machine-dependent.  I was
>thinking something like this:
>
># Run machine-dependent startup sequence
>machtype=`sysctl -n hw.machine`
>if [ -f /etc/rc.${machtype} ]; then
>	. /etc/rc.${machtype}
>fi
>
>Comments?  Am I opening a can of worms I don't want to open?  :-)

A call from the peanut gallery: rc.sparc would be platform
dependent. In my mind, the logical thing is
rc = OS dependent
rc.*machtype* = Platform dependent (making no assumptions about
special peripherals or daemons)
rc.local = special peripherals and daemons.

Of course, this all depends on how sharp the division is between these
things.

Most boxes have it between rc and rc.local, I've seen NFS laden sites
have rc rc.local, and rc.*machine-name*.
(The division is rc contained stuff from the generic distribution
*only*, daemons and whatnot installed by the lab on all machines went
in rc.local, and daemons for special folks went in...)

Squirmy enough?
--
Hacksaw