Subject: Re: Hard links -> symlink
To: None <tech-userlevel@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Out of his mind <tv@pobox.com>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 12/17/1995 16:37:49
On Sun, 17 Dec 1995, Automatic digest processor wrote:

> NetBSD uses hard links between directories, e.g. between
> /usr/sbin/sendmail and /usr/bin/mailq.  This is wrong for two reasons:

This is hard links between *files*, not directories. They are across
directories, however, and so the following argument is valid:

> 	* The two directories might be on different filesystems.

but this argument is not:

> 	* AFS doesn't allow hard links between directories.

> If I don't hear any objections in the next few days, I will check in
> changes to cause LINKS, MLINKS, and zic (/usr/share/zoneinfo) to
> always use symbolic links and never hard links.  This will require
> modifying all of the Makefiles which specify LINKS and MLINKS to
> specify relative paths instead of absolute paths.

Absolute paths are perfectly fine in symlinks; just make sure you have a
preceding / on the pathname. (i.e. a symlink '/usr/bin/mailq' pointing at
'/usr/sbin/sendmail' is perfectly fine.

=====
== Todd Vierling (tv@pobox.com): In cyberspace no one can hear you scream. ==
== "A real Canadian is someone who can pronounce the word 'eh?' properly." ==
== Vierling's Axiom: The revolution won't be televised; it will be posted. ==