Subject: Hard links -> symlink
To: None <tech-userlevel@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Greg Hudson <ghudson@mit.edu>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 12/17/1995 13:39:25
NetBSD uses hard links between directories, e.g. between
/usr/sbin/sendmail and /usr/bin/mailq.  This is wrong for two reasons:

	* The two directories might be on different filesystems.

	* AFS doesn't allow hard links between directories.

If I don't hear any objections in the next few days, I will check in
changes to cause LINKS, MLINKS, and zic (/usr/share/zoneinfo) to
always use symbolic links and never hard links.  This will require
modifying all of the Makefiles which specify LINKS and MLINKS to
specify relative paths instead of absolute paths.