Subject: Re: NetBSD GCC port
To: Niklas Hallqvist <niklas@appli.se>
From: matthew green <mrg@mame.mu.OZ.AU>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 09/11/1995 21:12:01
   Hi,

   As I've been doing extensive pre-2.7.1 testing, I've come to discover
   that NetBSD has done some bugfixes never commited back at the FSF.  I
   won't speculate on why this is so, instead I ask if there's a patch
   set showing what we've done to GCC in our tree, or at least some
   textual description, preferrably together with test-cases that failed
   without our changes...

   I've gotten almost all of NetBSD-current work with 2.7.1 on m68k,
   except for ld.so, which requires some PIC tweaking.  When debugging
   this I've found several PIC changes in our tree, one of which I've
   just seen, not tripped upon.  This made me worry about losing other
   fixes we have locally.

jt has done a lot of work for this with pre 2.7.0.  i did the sparc port
of it, and built my entire tree and kernel with it and didn't find any
problems.  i'm told, however, the the 2.7.0 broke groff on the sparc.

perhaps you should talk to jt about this -- i'm sure he tested at least
one m68k platform (sun3) as well as the vax, and others as well.

.mrg.