Subject: shared lib peculiarities
To: None <tech-userlevel@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Niklas Hallqvist <niklas@appli.se>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 09/05/1995 12:26:20
During my rebuild of the full tree with a FSF GCC snapshot I've found
some peculiarities related to shared libraries.

1	libcurses calls libtermcap functions, but wasn't linked with it so
	ld.so didn't know how to resolv these names.

	My solution: put -ltermcap in LDADD, is this correct?

2	libgnumalloc calls obsolete vlimit, which seems to be lost
	(AT&T?).

	My solution: use getrlimit instead.

3	Shared libraries seems to be cached and not always updated
	when copying them into /usr/lib, ldconfig doesn't help either.

	My solution, i ran a mem-eating loop.

Of the above points 1 & 2 are the same problem really, giving outputs
like: Undefined symbol "_vlimit" in ld:libgnumalloc.so.0.0
What I wonder is, why has this gone by earlier?  An ld.so bug, which
has been fixed, or is it my GCC that misses some option to feed to ld?

Point 3, is it the vm/buffer cache disintegration that haunts again?

I'd be happy to send-pr my changes if they turn out to be correct.

Niklas

Niklas Hallqvist	Phone: +46-(0)31-40 75 00
Applitron Datasystem	Fax:   +46-(0)31-83 39 50
Molndalsvagen 95	Email: niklas@appli.se
S-412 63  GOTEBORG	WWW:   Here
Sweden