Subject: Re: getpw*() changes to support YP netgroups
To: None <tech-userlevel@NetBSD.ORG>
From: der Mouse <mouse@Collatz.McRCIM.McGill.EDU>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 07/19/1995 10:23:36
>> What about it?  (Personally, I'd _like_ to break such software, but
>> I realize this option is not quite as attractive to core.)
> Even if you *have* the source, it is nice to just be able to use a
> binary out of the box.  [...]
> (Oh, and don't get me wrong, I quite appreciate your contributions to
> the discussions, I just had to bite on the "breaking software"
> bit...)

I agree with you, binary compatability is nice.  The "such software" I
was referring to was commercial no-source software; it's just
unfortunate - from my point of view - that breaking that also means
breaking binary compatability with old binaries you do happen to have
source to.  (Yeah, I'm a source-code bigot, and truly is it said "you
can tell a bigot, but you can't tell one much". :-)

					der Mouse

			    mouse@collatz.mcrcim.mcgill.edu