Subject: Re: getpw*() changes to support YP netgroups
To: None <tech-userlevel@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Bert Driehuis <driehuis@knoware.nl>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 07/19/1995 07:33:24
>What about it?  (Personally, I'd _like_ to break such software, but I
>realize this option is not quite as attractive to core.)  If it's
>linked -static, yell loudly about their having supplied you with a
>broken program - and with my suggestion, it'll work anyway.  If it's
>not linked -static, it'll work Just Fine anyway.

Even if you *have* the source, it is nice to just be able to use a binary
out of the box. Having ported the Sun XView libraries for eons to all kinds
of operating systems, just to get olwm & props up, I was so damned happy
that the stuff worked out of the box on NetBSD-sparc... Only to break when
I upgraded to -current of a week ago, from aprilish -current.

My point being, of course, that while I loathe non-source software, I'd
much rather spend my time doing work that advances me, rather than just
getting the environment right. Binary compatibility is a must, not just for
user acceptance, but also to concentrate on developers' fields of interest.

My time for one is limited, and is mostly spent in chasing my tail, keeping
my machine up and running. And don't think I upgrade to -current all the
time just for kicks. I am interested in things like Wine on the i386 port,
and SunOS emulation in the sparc port, and I need a relatively current
system for that. Oh well, it is at least a fun way to spend an evening!

(Oh, and don't get me wrong, I quite appreciate your contributions to the
discussions, I just had to bite on the "breaking software" bit...)

                                        -- Bert Driehuis

------
Bert Driehuis                 God, grant me the serenity to accept the things
driehuis@utrecht.knoware.nl   I can't change, courage to change the things I
                              can, and the wisdom to know the difference.