Subject: Re: magic
To: Mike Long <mike.long@analog.com>
From: J.T. Conklin <jtc@cygnus.com>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 06/26/1995 14:08:41

>> Date: Mon, 26 Jun 1995 11:50:10 -0700
>> From: "J.T. Conklin" <jtc@cygnus.com>
>>
>> Any objections to moving /etc/magic to /usr/share/misc and replacing
>> it with a symlink?

Mike> Sounds good to me.  In fact, why bother with the symlink? :-)

Someone else mentioned this in a private message.

There is no reason for a symlink as far as file(1) or any other NetBSD
program is concerned.  I suggested keeping it only for supporting any
third-party programs that might try to use it.

I don't know if any programs actually try to do so, and even if there
are they might trip over the extensions in our magic(5) format.

Maybe we should just move it, and provide the symlink when and if a
user complains.

	--jtc