Subject: Re: ftruncate & truncate prototypes &
To: Ken Hornstein <kenh@cmf.nrl.navy.mil>
From: Greg A. Woods <woods@kuma.web.net>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 04/19/1995 09:26:40
[ On Tue, April 18, 1995 at 18:28:12 (-0400), Ken Hornstein wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: ftruncate & truncate prototypes & <sys/types.h>
>
> Adding a prototype for truncate() to sys/types.h might make it easier for
> newbie users to port some of their favorite software packages, and I think
> that would be a good thing.  I also can't see how it would hurt (other than
> make the include files slightly less maintainable).

In strict software engineering terms, making things easy by making them
"wrong" is in itself wrong, as it also makes the application less
maintainable, never mind the system's header files.

On the other hand, if the package author is stubborn, or un-available,
and nobody else has the heart to put up and verify a "correct" port,
many newbies will get frustrated trying to port such software, and so
perhaps it is better to make it easy for them....

--
							Greg A. Woods

+1 416 443-1734			VE3TCP			robohack!woods
Planix, Inc. <woods@planix.com>; Secrets Of The Weird <woods@weird.com>