Subject: Change makefile rules so that *.S files are processed by cc (gcc) ???
To: None <tech-userlevel@NetBSD.ORG>
From: J.T. Conklin <jtc@cygnus.com>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 04/11/1995 14:37:35
I was wondering if we should have cc process *.S files instead of
using the preprocessor (with its output) piped to the assembler.

The advantage to this is that manifest constants would be available
for use in assembly code.  Off hand, I think of one instance where
this would be useful:

	On the mips, so that one piece of assembly code could be
	configured for both little and big endian ports.  (Perhaps
	someday there will be a mips magnum port).

Can anyone think of more?

	--jtc