Subject: Re: programs that use but link against
To: Chris G Demetriou <Chris_G_Demetriou@LAGAVULIN.PDL.CS.CMU.EDU>
From: Greg A. Woods <woods@kuma.web.net>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 02/28/1995 10:59:02
[ On Tue, February 28, 1995 at 10:55:05 (-0500), Chris G Demetriou wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: programs that use <regexp.h> but link against <regex.h>
>
> As i understand it, Henry is in the process of a complete, or at least
> major rework of the regex routines...

Yes, this is true.  He promises to fix all the problems I've spoken to
him about, as well as a whole slew of others, and he *says* he'll make
them 100% POSIX compliant, even though he's not very happy with what the
current POSIX standard specifies.

> in my opinion, the biggest drawback of the current ones is speed, or
> lack thereof.  8-)

That's one of the biggest problems.  As I recall there are some minor
"bugs" with the various expressions handled, and some inadequate
(i.e. missing) error checking, etc.

--
						Greg A. Woods

+1 416 443-1734			VE3TCP		robohack!woods
Planix, Inc. <woods@planix.com>; UniForum Canada <woods@uniforum.ca>