Subject: Re: implementing a name service switch...
To: None <tech-userlevel@netbsd.org>
From: Ty Sarna <tsarna@endicor.com>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 12/09/1994 02:12:05
In article <199412090015.TAA00665@pain.lcs.mit.edu>,
Chris G Demetriou  <Chris_G_Demetriou@LAGAVULIN.PDL.CS.CMU.EDU> wrote:
> > I haven't looked at the code in question, so this is probably an
> > oversimplification, but the "file" code uses the db(3) routines, right?
> > Why not implement yp or NIS or whatever as dynamicly loaded db(3) access

Erps, I meant "yp or Hesiod".

> > methods, and the switch would simply allow selection of which access
> > method was handed to dbopen().
>
> there's no reason to overload db's interface any (more 8-).

I'm not sure it's that much of a stretch. YP's interface is sort of
dbmish anyway.

> Note that i'm not strictly against a "switch" type thing which
> controlled loading of lookup methods.  however, that wasn't what the
> proposal was suggesting (at least, so said my reading of the
> proposal...  8-).

Sure, I was proposing this as an alternative. Although, now that I think
about it, I like the idea of a seperate program.

--
Ty Sarna                 "You know, we live in the age of the superhighway
tsarna@endicor.com        information network thing..." -- Dave Letterman