Subject: Re: implementing a name service switch...
To: Ty Sarna <tsarna@endicor.com>
From: Chris G Demetriou <Chris_G_Demetriou@LAGAVULIN.PDL.CS.CMU.EDU>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 12/08/1994 19:48:13
> I haven't looked at the code in question, so this is probably an
> oversimplification, but the "file" code uses the db(3) routines, right?
> Why not implement yp or NIS or whatever as dynamicly loaded db(3) access
> methods, and the switch would simply allow selection of which access
> method was handed to dbopen().

there's no reason to overload db's interface any (more 8-).

If something like this is going to happen, it should have its own
well-defined interface.

Note that i'm not strictly against a "switch" type thing which
controlled loading of lookup methods.  however, that wasn't what the
proposal was suggesting (at least, so said my reading of the
proposal...  8-).

chris