Subject: Re: should we replace the shell?
To: J.T. Conklin <jtc@CYGNUS.COM>
From: Chris G Demetriou <Chris_G_Demetriou@LAGAVULIN.PDL.CS.CMU.EDU>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 12/08/1994 00:30:12
> But as NetBSD matures, users will demand and we will be able to devote
> energy to things that were once considered unimportant, like standards
> conformance.  I think it will be more difficult meet a goal of POSIX.2
> compliance with Ash.  That is why I suggested pdksh as an alternative.

frankly, i don't think we're at the point yet where we should think
about replacing the _shell_, for standards conformance.  There are
enough other things to do, that we can put off this reasonably serious
change until later.

I'd really like to see how pdksh shapes up in the next time T (where T
is "the time when we _need_ to replace the shell" - "now").

Basically, i don't think we need to replace it now, so why not put it
off for a bit?

chris