Subject: Re: should we replace the shell?
To: David S. Miller <>
From: Jason Thorpe <>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 12/07/1994 14:35:30
On Wed, 7 Dec 94 16:19:26 EST (David S. Miller) wrote:

 > I am new around here, but may I ask why distributing the GNU Bash
 > shell hasn't been considered? It can't be strictly because it is GPL'd
 > code because gcc is in netbsd (albeit an old version). Is it due to
 > the core size that bash can take up? If this is the case then bash can
 > be compiled to be more minimal, and bash is a completely POSIXized
 > shell. I welcome your thoughts....

Bash has long been used here as a substitute for ksh: i.e...

	/bin/ksh -> /usr/local/bin/bash

We have a lot of ksh users (because we have a lot of HP-UX machines) and
the fact that we use YP so heavily leaves us looking for a
ksh-substitute.  I personally would like to see a real ksh-compatible
implementation in NetBSD...

My $0.02

Jason R. Thorpe                      758-2003
OJGSE NERO Project               CSWest Room 5                    737-5567
Shared Computing Environment Group