Subject: Re: should we replace the shell?
To: None <davem@nadzieja.rutgers.edu>
From: Charles M. Hannum <mycroft@gnu.ai.mit.edu>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 12/07/1994 17:10:55
   GCC works very well on platforms which have people willing to organize
   and contribute some time to give the FSF a hand with the large task
   that maintaining GCC on so many platforms encompasses.

I'm not sure what you mean by that.  The existing GCC maintainers seem
to do an adequate job of `improving' GCC on the whole.  When I'm being
bitten by a bug and I don't feel like it's being dealt with fast
enough, I usually fix it myself.

   Ala the Linux
   GCC team, perhaps it would be a good idea for a netbsd effort of a
   similar style to emerge?

Why is that necessary or even a good idea?  I absolutely will NOT
allow the GCC in our source tree to be updated every time a new
version is released by the FSF.  Doing so would be completely
gratuitous, and would needlessly introduce bugs that we don't need.

We do not develop GCC.  Other people do.