Subject: Re: should we replace the shell?
To: J.T. Conklin <jtc@cygnus.com>
From: Greg A. Woods <woods@kuma.web.net>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 12/07/1994 16:20:56
[ On Wed, December  7, 1994 at 15:10:30 (-0500), J.T. Conklin wrote: ]
> Subject: should we replace the shell?
>
> I think that we should consider replacing our shell with pdksh.  The
> latest pdksh release (5.1.0) is much closer than ash to being POSIX.2
> compliant, it's compiled executable is about the same size, it is only
> slightly slower, and most importantly, it is being actively maintained
> outside of NetBSD.

I do know that the BSDI folks are still using ash, and are at least
responding to PR's with "fixed in 2.0".

Does anyone know if they'll return their changes to the world at large?

--
						Greg A. Woods

+1 416 443-1734			VE3TCP		robohack!woods
Planix, Inc. <woods@planix.com>; UniForum Canada <woods@uniforum.ca>