Subject: Re: Should libc's toplevel Makefile add -DNLS to CFLAGS?
To: T. William Wells <bill@twwells.com>
From: J.T. Conklin <jtc@cygnus.com>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 10/04/1994 18:09:44
> :       2. It's not that difficult to change NLS to have __cat*
> :          functions that are called from within the library; and cat*
> :          functions that call the __cat* functions to supply the
> :          X/Open NLS API.

> Until this is done, you should not turn it on. ANSI compliance is
> not a gratuitous feature.

I agree that ANSI compliance is not a gratuitous feature.  On the
other hand, we are *so* far from being compliant, it makes little
difference whether we fix namespace problems now or later.

Note that even now strerror() is not compliant, since it (indirectly
through __strerror()) references sys_nerr and sys_errlst[] (which are
in the user's namespace).

Now that the linker supports weak symbols, we'll be able to start
addressing some of these issues.

	--jtc