Re: very strange build failure in external/gpl3/gcc/lib/libstdc++-v3/include/bits

At Thu, 07 Oct 2021 10:25:31 -0700, "Greg A. Woods" <woods%planix.ca@localhost> wrote:
Subject: very strange build failure in external/gpl3/gcc/lib/libstdc++-v3/include/bits

> I had a parallel build fail as follows yesterday.
>
> This same source tree has been built in the same way on the same machine
> multiple times without these errors ever appearing.  An rsync'ed copy of
> the source tree has been successfully built on another machine multiple
> times without these errors ever appearing.

I spoke a little too soon.

The second machine encountered the same error just now, but only part of
it -- i.e. only one of the 'mv' commands failed:

mv: rename gthr-posix.h.tmp to gthr-posix.h: No such file or directory
--- gthr-posix.h ---
*** [gthr-posix.h] Error code 1

nbmake[7]: stopped in /work/woods/m-NetBSD-current/external/gpl3/gcc/lib/libstdc++-v3/include/bits
1 error

I happened to have a couple of other older builds from the same tree on
that other machine, and so I looked for similar errors in the logs from
those builds, and what do you know, but I found one more (from last
March)!

mv: rename c++config.h.tmp to c++config.h: No such file or directory
includes ===> external/mit/xorg/lib/xkeyboard-config/symbols/nec_vndr
    install  /build/woods/b2/current-amd64-destdir/usr/X11R7/include/xcb/xc_misc.h
    install  /build/woods/b2/current-amd64-destdir/usr/X11R7/include/xcb/xcb.h
--- includes-include ---

nbmake[5]: stopped in /work/woods/m-NetBSD-current/external/gpl3/gcc/lib/libstdc++-v3
--- includes-libxcb ---
nbmake[8]: stopped in /work/woods/m-NetBSD-current/external/mit/xorg/lib/libxcb
--- includes-bits ---

nbmake[9]: stopped in /work/woods/m-NetBSD-current/external/gpl3/gcc/lib/libstdc++-v3/include

That time I just restarted the build and put it down to a parallel build
Makefile error.

In that case it's from external/gpl3/gcc/lib/libstdc++-v3/include/bits/Makefile
and again it's the same style of rule where it is impossible for me to
understand how the failure could possibly happen!

It's almost as if the call to rename() in 'mv' succeeds, but returns an
ENOENT error sometimes!!!

BTW, there's a rule in /usr/src/external/gpl3/gcc/lib/libstdc++-v3/Makefile
of a similar form but it includes what seems to me to be a nonsensical
"&& rm -f ${.TARGET}.tmp" at the end.  Shouldn't that be "|| rm -f ..."???
(or just not there at all?)

Kelowna, BC     +1 250 762-7675           RoboHack <woods%robohack.ca@localhost>