Re: GNU tools netbsd vs netbsdelf

On Fri, Jun 11, 2021 at 11:01:07PM +0000, David Holland wrote:
> Anyway, a much less theoretical problem is: if you are closely enough
> tied to the GNU triple system that a minor inconsistency like this
> causes trouble, where will you be the next time they decide to change
> it around upstream as a political football?

I still do not understand the original issue. The failure to build
for

	i686--netbsd

triggerd this, and while

	i686--netbsdelf

was accepted by the upstream gcc configure script, it still does not make
much sense, as it should be

	i486--netbsdelf

instead. There are probably hundreds of targets you could configure that do
not match any real NetBSD supported target, and the list varies over time
(see recentish arm OABI removal).

So if you have to know what you ard doing (or look it up) anyway, why
is any change needed? I have never before seen anyone actually wonder
about the names in this magic tuples, or suggest cosmetic changes.

Martin