Re: c++: how to print UTF-8 characters in locale?

(I am confused a lot, IMHO the locale facets are one of the worst areas
of the C++ standard library, and their documentation is unreadable [at
least for me]).

What I don't get (and Thomas asked) is: if you query the locale separator
string via a <char> based facet I would expect a multibyte character
string to be returned, and writing that via "cout <<" should work.
Jörg said it would not work (and apparently it did not), but I fail to
see why (or if the code used in that experiment was wrong).

Martin