Re: make: dealing with targets with multiple outputs

On Tue, Jun 11, 2019 at 09:08:33AM -0700, Simon J. Gerraty wrote:
 > Regardless, I suspect the internal plumbing for David's idea would be
 > rather similar to mine - each GNode needs a list of nodes that it is
 > "related" to.

I don't think that's the right way to do it; it should be done by
tracking where recipes are shared (and not parameterized). I don't
have time or energy to go look at the internals right now to think
about how best to arrange that.

 > In my idea, you'd always build the first node of that set
 > if any are out-of-date and simply mark all of them up-to-date.
 > This would ensure the same .meta file is always used.
 >
 > If I understood David's proposal, he'd be stat()ing each of those
 > related targets after making any of them.

It already does that (even when not in compatibility mode), it just
doesn't inhibit starting multiple copies of the recipe at once.

--
David A. Holland
dholland%netbsd.org@localhost